[Fedora-livecd-list] Simple persistence idea, /home only

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 18:10:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 13:30 +0100, Kai Engert wrote:
> I've seen messages about complete persistence, which is, make sure all
> changes to the filesystem are persistent.
>
> However, for end user tasks it might be sufficient to offer persistence
> of the /home directory.
>
> Has the following idea been proposed already?
> I figure it would be easy to do.
>
> During boot, scan for a partition with a given label, say, "fedoralivehome".
> If present, that partition gets mounted as /home.
> As a consequence, all user settings and documents are kept across boots.
> An usb stick could be partitioned to have the second partition as /home.
>
> Does this idea make sense?

I've thought about it before, the problem ends up being that you really
don't want to use, eg, a fat filesystem for the home directory which
makes it a little trickier.  It's definitely my fallback thinking at
this point, although I do actually think we can get something along the
line of dmc's patches merged...  I just need to see what's up with the
upstart conversion (as it also involved changes to how we halt and I
didn't want to have to figure that side out twice :-)

Jeremy