[Fedora-livecd-list] bootloader --append="noapic" does nothing?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 18:42:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 10:16 -0800, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> >> Alas, the resulting disc still does not pass "noapic" to the kernel.
> >> What am I supposed to do?
> >
> > Which version of livecd-tools are you using for building your image?
>
> I'm running the version that yum installed on Fedora 8.
[snip]
> Is that a good version to be running?  If not, what's the proper way to
> get a fresher version?

Yes, should be fine.  I'm just trying to rule out "we broke it moving
all the code around" as rawhide/current git right now has a lot moved
around :)   Looking at the rev, though, it doesn't look like we listen
to --append (although we probably should)

> > But note if you're doing this for a general-purpose image, you almost
> > certainly don't want to add 'noapic' to the default.  While it may help
> > the specific machine you've tested on, it will cause problems on _more_
> > machines.
>
> Hmm.  Then what is a reasonable way to build an image that doesn't fail on
> neither that Dell in the corner nor on other people's machines?
>
> It's a pretty catastrophic failure on that machine, and I'd frankly rather
> the system run slowly on some machines and never catastrophically fail
> rather than catastrophically fail on some machines and work perfectly on
> others.

Running with noapic is a catastrophic failure for machines too.  The
right thing is to get the kernel bug fixed.  Otherwise, you're just
changing out one problem set for another one.  And the kernel running in
noapic mode is far far far far far less tested across hardware than the
defaults.

> Unrelated issue: the images I generate last night based on Fedora 8 +
> Fedora 8 updates fail to boot, complaining presumably from the initrd:

Has 2.6.24 landed in Fedora 8 updates?  I vaguely remember having to make a tweak for it to work with livecd-tools, but I'm not remembering what that tweak was anymore

Jeremy