[Fedora-livecd-list] i586 needed, how?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 23:49:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 18:40 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> anaconda --targetarch=i586 would install i586 packages instead of i686.
>   I need chroot-creator to do the equivalent so the resulting chroot can
> work on both i586 and i686 clients.  i586 clients are common with LTSP.
>
> It was suggested that I test "setarch i586" after removing
> /etc/platform/rpm.  The resulting chroot was still i686.

Given that 'setarch i586' doesn't do anything different from 'setarch
i686', that's hardly surprising.

> Any suggestions as to what is the best way the equivalent of anaconda's
> --targetarch= can be implemented in ImageCreator?

The cleanest thing would be to actually get 'setarch i586' to do
something nice for i586.  Then it wouldn't require hacks in the tool
chain at all.  Otherwise, it's going to be more difficult as the only
things that yum uses are uname -m and /etc/rpm/platform

Jeremy