[Fedora-livecd-list] PATCH: Disk (appliance) creator tool

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Feb 21 03:50:45 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 01:57:08AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> You have to have a working virt stack to *use* virtualization or test
>>> things.  I'm not sure that't eh argument to use.  And as far as
>>> reliability, what bugs are you talking about?  livecd-creator has
>>> managed to have lower numbers of bugs largely due to a) less
>>> functionality and b) less users.
>> The host you use virtualization on, is not neccessarily the same as the host
>> you build your images on though. If people don't have hardware virt in their
>> dev machine it can be beneficial to build images via this tool, in preference
>> to use the very slow QEMU emulator. Even in they do have virtualization the
>> CPU & particularly memory overhead of building in the host is reduced. One
>> specific bug is that the disk image ends up with the hostname of the guest
>> VM embedded in /etc/sysconfig/network & /etc/hosts. Another was that the user
>> in question wanted to run the tool on a host without hardware virt support.
>
> Some other examples of scenarios where you want to build appliance images but
> do not have virtualization capabilities directly accessible.
>
>  - Machines where the user's primary OS is running under an embedded hypervisor.
>    QEMU is tolerable for booting an image to verify that it works, but building
>    the image in QEMU is too slow to be practical.

Obviously, since my project uses precisely that (qemu) I'll defend a
bit:  Some examples of where 'too slow to be practical' is IMHO an
oversweeping generalization-

- when a few hours or overnight is not a big deal

- when you can use a standardized pre-existing image as a base (that
might have taken hours to build once), and all you need to do is add or
remove a small set of packages, which only takes a few minutes

- in the future, when qemu, either via kvm/kqemu or just plain faster
hardware, reduces the install time from hours to minutes, and the
simplicity and security of no-root-privs becomes more valuable than the
time saved using alternate methods (at least for some usage cases).

Naturally these might not be situations you are interested in, but I
think your statement of 'too slow to be practical' was an
oversimplification which you knew I would take the bait and defend ;)

Basically, I do agree that with the current relative immaturity of these
sorts of imaging tools, we do find ourselves repeatedly building the
'long run'.  But in the future, I see a pipeline and polishedness, where
you have one or more standard images built and cached (because disk is
cheap), and further one-off appliances are quickly built as minor
modifications of those cached images.  But that's just the itch I'm
scratching...  I grant that for your purposes, running disk-creator as
root is clearly better for the sorts of virtualization tasks you seem to
be targeting (right now).

>  - Building images to deploy to a virtual machine hosted by an ISP, eg linode.com
>    where you have either option of providing a pre-installed disk image, or using
>    one the ISP built for you.
>
>  - The virtualization technology on your local machine may be different from the
>    target machine. eg you can run VirtualBox on your deskop, but want to build
>    Xen based images to deploy to Amazon's EC2 hosting environment.

Yup, two more cases where qemu (or *cough* perhaps vmware ;) can fit the
bill, if you aren't in a massive hurry.

-dmc