[Fedora-livecd-list] PATCH: Disk (appliance) creator tool

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 04:08:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:49:57PM -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >
> >Some other examples of scenarios where you want to build appliance images
> >but
> >do not have virtualization capabilities directly accessible.
> >
> > - Machines where the user's primary OS is running under an embedded
> > hypervisor.
> >   QEMU is tolerable for booting an image to verify that it works, but
> >   building
> >   the image in QEMU is too slow to be practical.
>

> Obviously, since my project uses precisely that (qemu) I'll defend a
> bit:  Some examples of where 'too slow to be practical' is IMHO an
> oversweeping generalization-
>
> - when a few hours or overnight is not a big deal

Yes it is a big deal because it directly impacts the amount of development
and testing I can do in any single day. If it takes 15 minutes to build
an image I can get through many many build & test cycles in a day. If it
takes overnight then I can only do one build & test.  For some people it
may not be a big deal to wait overnight, but for many people it it totally
impractical to wait this long.

> - in the future, when qemu, either via kvm/kqemu or just plain faster
> hardware, reduces the install time from hours to minutes, and the
> simplicity and security of no-root-privs becomes more valuable than the
> time saved using alternate methods (at least for some usage cases).

KQEMU is essentially unmaintained & you can't assume access to KVM
since it requires hardeware virtualization & even if your hardware has
such capabilities there are plenty of scenarios where the end user will
not be able to use them.

> Naturally these might not be situations you are interested in, but I
> think your statement of 'too slow to be practical' was an
> oversimplification which you knew I would take the bait and defend ;)

You're imagining things - if you choose to use QEMU for your project
I've no problem with that - that's your choice to make. It is simply
not practical for my day-to-day work to wait for installs inside QEMU
emulator to complete.

Dan.