[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC: Remove explicit initrd creation from livecd creation

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 18:22:07 UTC 2008

I've made the first step[1] towards actually getting the initrd for
livecds to be created as part of the "normal" mkinitrd that gets run
when the kernel is installed in rawhide.  This, though, means that
running mayflower from livecd-creator is fairly overkill and even likely
to cause problems as the two are unlikely to be kept in sync.

Therefore, I'd like to propose removing mayflower and the calls to use
it from the livecd build process.  This, though, would mean that
pre-Fedora 9 images would need a little bit of config work to continue
building them with git livecd-tools.  Basically, for those configs, we'd
likely end up just wanting to pull livecd-tools into their manifest and
then have the %post of the config run mayflower.  I'll fix up the F8
configs when doing so, but will probably drop the < F8 configs from the
package.

Anyone see any real problems with this?

Jeremy

[1] At this point, it's pretty crude but it at least moves us in the
right direction and gets us to stop thinking "oh we can just change
livecd-tools and change the boot"