[Fedora-livecd-list] persistence testing howto

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Jan 3 22:31:38 UTC 2008

Mike Dickson wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I got a LiveCD + Persistence usb drive running from your scripts, but
> got I/O errors if I tried to do a yum update.
>
> Before that I was able to vi test.txt and put some text in and it
> survived a reboot.
>
> What can I do to address the i/o errors?

My first question/explanation would be that you filled up the snapshot
device.  This is quite possible, as a yum install involves creating
several copies of the actual files you end up installing.

The way to see if this is what is happening would be to have another
terminal open, and periodically watch the output of "dmsetup status".
As new blocks are written to the rootfs snapshot device, you will see
the snapshot filling up.

If you get these IO errors even before the snapshot fills up, please try
to post some more detailed output.

In general, as discussed there are pros and cons with this method, and a
unionfs method.  I do think there are ways to work around the cons of
this method in such a way that it is useful.  For instance, I'll play
around and see if I can prescribe a process of using yum that will get
it to create all of its intermediate files in a native tmpfs (/dev/shm
or the like) instead of the rootfs, so that they don't eat into the
snapshot space.  Likewise, now that I have my first actual tester, maybe
I'll figure out some other creative ways to improve the method (I have
some ideas I need to experiment with...).

Thanks,

-dmc