[Fedora-livecd-list] persistence testing howto

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Jan 4 03:06:14 UTC 2008

Mike Dickson wrote:
> I just finished trying to download JBoss Developer Studio and installing
> it on the thumb drive.  It filled up again.  I then dropped the .jar on
> the stick hoping that I could install from that and it filled up again.
> Checkmate.

What size snapshot file are you using?  I think my example used 128M,
which was of the mindset of a 700MB livecd and a 128M persistence file
on a 1G liveusb.

You might have better luck with a 1G persistence file on a 2G usbstick.

In general what you really want to do is install the main stuff as part
of the spin, and only use the persistence feature for the end-users so
they can install some smaller one-off library (or such) for their
particular needs.

Likewise, persistence can be used to edit /etc/fstab permanently to
mount a seperate /home partition from a different filesystem image file,
which won't suffer some of these issues (but obviously isn't useful for
yum installing anything).

Gotta get back to watching the bowl...  At some point I hope to write up
a web page better describing the mechanisms here, to help people
understand the limitations of this method, and how best to work around
them.  This is definitely not a magic bullet solution.

more later...

-dmc