[SCRIPT] ksmono-izer, was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Inheritance in kickstart and package removals

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Jan 7 07:55:49 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 13:53 -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> FWIW attached is a simple script I put together to use pykickstart to
>> generate a monolithic kickstart file from a multi-file (include-using)
>> kickstart file.  It may shed some light on what pykickstart is doing
>> under the covers...
>
> See /usr/bin/ksflatten from pykickstart itself for a pretty similar
> script :)

Wasn't there last time I looked.  Great minds think alike...  long live
ksflatten.  Much better name.

Now why don't you beat me to punch and write an ext3fs kernel hack that
gives preference to writing new blocks to a list stored in memory which
happens to be the same as those which exist in a snapshot device and are
not in use.

That might be a few more lines of code...  But would it ever be cool.
And actually, it seems like it is a might be a general improvement for
using snapshotted ext3 filesystems (not just my persistence method, and
livecd ram snapshot).

-dmc