[Fedora-livecd-list] persistence testing howto

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Jan 7 08:20:07 UTC 2008

Mike Dickson wrote:
> I used the yum update to simulate a developer install of substantial
> size - nothing special about it.  I wanted to see if you wrote a lot to
> it what would happen.  I gather we are running into different mount
> points filling up?  (Remember I am a developer not a linux guy.)  There
> is room on the stick just not in tmp it filled up?

Yeah, it's actually a worse problem than you suspect.  One which I
didn't even really imagine was solvable until that last reply to jeremy,
where I think I may have come up with a pretty cool idea for a new
kernel feature, at least till MarkMC tells me what is wrong with the
idea (since I know for a fact he is the perfect person to judge it).

> I have a feeling that I will need to spin my own .iso from the Developer
> Live CD that includes RHDS and pretty much everything they need.  Then
> let them save a few documents in home to keep the large amount of
> writing to a minimum.  Am I heading in the right direction?

Yup.  Hopefully real-soon-now(tm) I'll post an easy way for you add the
persistence feature to your own iso.  (the patch I gave you along time
ago is out of date, and the xdelta thing is tied the f8 livecd
specifically).

Seriously... real soon now... (hours, days).  But thank you for testing
with the xdelta.  It certainly gives you a taste for the working, but
non-total-greatness of the feature.

-dmc