[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC: my plans for improving LiveCD boot speed with smart device mapper caching

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Jan 11 13:04:21 UTC 2008

FYI- I've somewhat cryptically alluded to grand plans for improving
LiveCD boot speed on this list in the past.

While I'm still quite some time from having the time to implement it, I
did outline my method on squashfs-devel yesterday.

The basic idea is to replace all the disk seeks for file accesses during
boot with a single long seek-less read, using a devicemapper trick which
I've never seen used anywhere else, but which I'm 99.9% sure will work.
  I will back off my prior predictions of halving boot time, but I still
think 15%-25% speedup will happen...

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=d872d960801070247i73a7d032w7b499db16401e04e%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=squashfs-devel

-dmc