[Fedora-livecd-list] rfc/suggestion: livecd kickstart format should include url install method

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Jan 14 19:42:05 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 22:32 -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> The main problem, is that no install method is specified.  For now, I'm
>> just going to do a little parsing, taking the first repo line, and
>> converting it into
>>
>> "
>> install
>> url --url=<bla>
>> "
>
> While not required, this syntax should work today.

Then my suggestion is mainly about what the example kickstarts look like...

   The url syntax
> doesn't support as many things like mirrorlists, though, and thus isn't
> as preferred.  See the methodToRepo bits

I noticed this as well.  The intuitive answer would seem to be that that
the url syntax should support mirrorlists.  Is this planned for F9?

>> Other than that, the only other thing I think I noticed was that it
>> failed to go completely automated due to lack of specified root password
>> entry.  Again, I'd suggest explicitly requiring that entry.
>
> An empty password is going to cause problems, though, and that's what we
> end up wanting for general live image use.  And if you want to have a
> root password, you can specify it and then things will work in either
> case

I'd suggest in this case supplying the rootpw entry, and then using
%post to remove the root password.  Again, the idea being that the
example kickstarts supplied should work well as non-livecd kickstarts.

-dmc