[Fedora-livecd-list] rfc/suggestion: livecd kickstart format should include url install method

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 23:30:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 13:42 -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 22:32 -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> >> The main problem, is that no install method is specified.  For now, I'm
> >> just going to do a little parsing, taking the first repo line, and
> >> converting it into
> >>
> >> "
> >> install
> >> url --url=<bla>
> >> "
> >
> > While not required, this syntax should work today.
>
> Then my suggestion is mainly about what the example kickstarts look like...
>
>    The url syntax
> > doesn't support as many things like mirrorlists, though, and thus isn't
> > as preferred.  See the methodToRepo bits
>
> I noticed this as well.  The intuitive answer would seem to be that that
> the url syntax should support mirrorlists.  Is this planned for F9?

That means the loader would need to have support for mirrorlists.  And
proxies.  Etc, etc.  The better answer is going to be the work which is
ongoing for Fedora 9 so that we can define repos at stage2 time... at
which point, we could just use a config with repos for install-time
also.

> >> Other than that, the only other thing I think I noticed was that it
> >> failed to go completely automated due to lack of specified root password
> >> entry.  Again, I'd suggest explicitly requiring that entry.
> >
> > An empty password is going to cause problems, though, and that's what we
> > end up wanting for general live image use.  And if you want to have a
> > root password, you can specify it and then things will work in either
> > case
>
> I'd suggest in this case supplying the rootpw entry, and then using
> %post to remove the root password.  Again, the idea being that the
> example kickstarts supplied should work well as non-livecd kickstarts.

This just makes things convoluted, though and harder to understand, not
easier.  Because now to figure out why there's not a password, I have to
go and parse through the scripts.  Which sucks IMHO

Jeremy