caching in general (was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] caching repository?)

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 22:47:40 UTC 2008

> I've thought some about it.  We don't want to stomp on the
> system /var/cache/yum, don't want to accidentally clear a cache when it
> shouldn't, or lock the system yum from doing anything while you're
> composing.

I think it would be cool if the operating system basically had a big
key-value cache, that would be automatically purged as system space ran
low.  So various tools could stuff rpm SHA1->rpm into there.  Maybe you
could even do this just using a filesystem interface
say /var/cache/objects.

You don't really need yum instances and livecd-creator etc. to share say
the sqlite db downloads (though that would be nice); the big part is the
RPMs.