[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- multiple configs support

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sat Jan 26 07:42:33 UTC 2008

I'm putting together a feature enhancement patch for livecd-tools, that
will basically just allow multiple instances of --config on the command
line, and then build something that is the same as if one --config
option was used on a kickstart file that is the appended contents of the
multiple specified kickstarts.

This came about because I was considering the biggest differences
between the VirOS livecd generation tool I'm working on for myself, and
livecd-creator.  non-root was the top thing, but the 2nd biggest thing
was just my whole dna/virus/gene/trait metaphor.  I.e. building livecds
with a mix and match collection of traits, from a library of preexisting
stuff.

And then I realized that just implementing the above, brings that type
of methodology to livecd-creator.  Yes, of course you can do this
manually with cat appending or kickstart including.  But I think the
implementation is so simple, and the functionality useful enough, that
its worth doing.

The next thing after that, which would be a bit tougher, is the idea of
passing variables to the kickstart files.  Maybe already the post
scripts can pull in environment variables (haven't tried it), but I
think it'd be better if you could specify some variables/define-macros
on the command-line, and more or less have them sed-replaced in the
kickstart.

To give an idea of kind of where I'm aiming, something like this-

livecd-creator \
     --config=fedora-livecd-desktop.ks \
     --config=emacs-and-friends.ks \
     --config=add_user_in_liveinit.ks \
     --define=LIVEUSER=guest

The result would be that instead of the current user that gets
autologged in being named 'fedora', it would be named 'guest'.

Anyway, the define bit may be tricky, but I'll try to get together a
simple patch for the multiple kickstarts in the next couple days.

As the subject line says-  comments requested.

-dmc