[Fedora-livecd-list] Image options

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Mar 19 07:31:12 UTC 2008

Jerry Vonau wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>> Are there image options other than squashFS for the LiveCD?
>> I ask because building squashFS images on the PowerPC is
>> excruciatingly slow :-(
>>
> There is an undocumented option --skip-compression that should leave the
> ext3fs.img file in LiveOS instead of placing it within squashfs.img.
> Think that would be a dvd only trick... or a barebones install on a cd.

Also relevant, is that iso9660 doesn't support sparse files, so there is
some nasty overhead there.  Though there are ways to work around that if
you were really interested (using squashfs but without compression, or
nesting a sparse ext3 image in an unsparse one).

But now that I'm a full-time workin' man again, I certainly won't have
time to implement any of that real soon.  :)

peace...

-dmc