[Fedora-livecd-list] Periodically remastered LiveCDs?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Sep 2 13:52:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 14:11 -0700, Mike Perry wrote:
> I was wondering if there are any plans or existing unofficial torrents
> that provide remastered "stable" LiveCD images with all the recent
> updates applied? For example, I've tried out the FC9 LiveCD and my
> wireless card would not work until I installed the iso to a USB and
> upgraded my wpa_supplicant and NetworkManager. From googling around,
> this seemed like a common problem with the early FC9 installs.

No -- doing this ends up taking up significant amounts of release
engineering, testing, etc time.  With only six month cycles, that would
be even more painful for the n+1 release.  And then there are also
complications around export control, pressed media, etc

> In general, I've noticed the initial release of many distributions is
> quite buggy, but that things vastly improve after a couple of months
> of updates. Is there any reason why remastered updates aren't provided
> officially? Having a more stable LiveCD will definitely give people a
> much more favorable opinion of Fedora.

There are multiple testing releases done prior to release -- the best
way to help improve the quality of the final releases is actually
helping to test these pre-releases.  And with the live images, it's easy
enough and non-destructive, so there really is little reason not to.

Jeremy