[Fedora-livecd-list] Making a Live USB stick from running Live CD session: Unable to fit live image FAILURE

Robert Kwasniewski kwas at arriad.com
Fri Sep 12 21:51:13 UTC 2008

I am new to Fedora. I was trying to make a Live USB from a running
Live CD session per the instructions here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

About half way down that page:

Bootable USB from a running Live CD/DVD
If you are already running a live CD or DVD and want to convert that
into a bootable USB stick, run the following command:

livecd-iso-to-disk /dev/live /path/tousbstick

With a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer mounted as sdi1, I went into /mnt/live/
LiveOS and ran:

./livecd-iso-to-disk squashfs.img  /dev/sdi1

The script runs, and asks to add an MBR etc, but it cannot complete
and gives this message:

Unable to fit live image + overlay on available space on USB stick

Size of live image: 4096

Overlay size:

Available space: 3729

Cleaning up to exit...

The squashfs.img is 686MB, so this should work? I also tried --no-
verify and --overlay-size-mb set to zero and low values. I got the
same message. I did some searching, and found a thread about tricks
for doing Live USB from Live CD: