[Fedora-livecd-list] What's needed to bring latest Fedora LiveCD Tools up to RHEL 5?

Patrice Guay patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca
Sun Sep 21 06:12:40 UTC 2008

Bryan J Smith a écrit :
> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 14:41 -0400, Bryan J Smith wrote:
>> It's now clear I will make the time to help do this, as the LiveCD build
>> system seems to be the best way to accomplish many goals I have.  Some
>> of this may require a fork of select packages from RHEL mainstream, I
>> understand this.  It's an external requirement in my case.
>>
>> livecd-tools is currently release 013-5.el5 in EPEL for RHEL 5
>>
>> I know several have mentioned other components are involved.  E.g., as
>> Rahul pointed to me earlier, the CentOS guys have updated several
>> components in their project (pykickstart, etc...):
>>   http://www.nanotechnologies.qc.ca/propos/linux/centos-live/i386/live/RPMS/
>>
>> Ultimately I would like to make the system more flexible for various
>> boots, if possible with that same framework.  But that's more eccentric
>> to my needs.  I'd just like to address the few differences between
>> Fedora and RHEL, even if that means a few packages are forked and
>> unsupported (at least outside of GPS ;).
>
> [ I accidentally hit send before this was complete. ]
>
> So, other than the changelogs and some diffs (and the CentOS 5 LiveCD
> changes), what are the big showstoppers to things not working for RHEL?
> Is there already some notes somewhere on this?  Thanx!

The current livecd toolset for Fedora requires an updated anaconda
package that is not available under CentOS/RHEL 5. This is the main
problem preventing the use of the latest livecd-tools package under
CentOS/RHEL 5.

The anaconda package is taking care of the installation of the
distribution. Since CentOS is supporting its packages for 7 years,
introducing a new version of a critial package such as anaconda and
providing support for it would be unrealistic. Hence, the official
CentOS LiveCD is unable to support the latest livecd-tools.

For more information, see:
https://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/InstallToHardDrive

--
Patrice Guay