[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora 7 Live CD: Permission Denied Error during bootup

Sakthi_ciet sakthi_v_cse at yahoo.co.in
Mon Sep 22 08:10:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a Fedora 7 live i386 CD. i want to create my
own distribution, based on fedora 7 live CD.

i dont know anything about modifying fedora live cd.
ofcourse i dont want to use any built in tools to
modify the fedora live cd.

I booted the system with FC7 live CD, with option run
from RAM.
1. logged in as root
2. mounted the FC7 live CD to /mnt
3. again mounted the /mnt/squashfs.img to /mnt-squash
4. again loop mounted the /mnt-squash/os.img to
/mnt-os

Now in my laptop (80GB Harddisk, 1GB RAM, intel
centrino processor, Windows XP Prof), i have 80 GB
NTFS partition C:/
So i dont have any option to create a ext3 partition.
i just used the windows NTFS partition as temporary
build space for my new distro.

5. mount /dev/sda1 to /win (This is the C:\ drive of
my laptop)
6. create a dir /win/build
7. create a 4GB file using dd as follows
dd if=/dev/zero of=/win/build/os.img bs=512
count=8388608
8. the above command created a raw 4GB file, i used
mkfs.ext3 to create a ext3 partition on this 4GB file.
9. mkfs.ext3 -L / /win/build/os.img
10. loop mounted (RW mode) /win/build/os.img to
/new-os/
11. now i copied the contents of original fedora live
CD os.img (/mnt-os/* to /new-os/*)
Note: I used --preserve=context option to preserve the
SELinux Context. (cp --preserve=context -rf .
/new-os/)
12. changed /new-os/etc/issue file.
13. unmounted /new-os
14. then  created a squasfs.img using the new os.img
image and sysroot folder as follows,
cd /win/build/
cp -rf /mnt-squash/sysroot .
mksquashfs os.img sysroot/ squashfs.img
15. now i got the squashfs.img successfully, (but
firsttime i got the compressed size of squshfs.img as
653MB, later, 4th 5th time the size grown to 1.1GB,
1.2GB - but this is not the subject of interest!)
16. created a dir /win/my_new_distro
17. copied newly created squashfs.img to
/win/my_new_distro
18. copied /mnt/sysroot to /win/my_new_distro/
19. copied /mnt/isolinux to /win/my_new_distro/
modified the boot loaders ditro display name, splash
images in isolinux/
20. created the bootable isoimage using mkisofs
cd /win/my_new_distro/
mkisofs -o ../sakthi.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c
isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4
-boot-info-table -V sakthilnx .
21. successfully got the ISO image of my new distro, i
just burned it to my CD using cdrecord
cdrecord -v -dao -dev=1,0,0 sakthi.iso
22. Booted my new distro CD, it booted successfully,
reflecting all changes in boot loader screen.
23. Selected the 1st option Run Live Image
24. It uncompressed, control moved to rc.sysinit, and
complained not able to execute hwclock, permission
denied.
from here all the system service failed saying
permission denied error.

All that i guess is SELinux context issue, but when i
checked the medium --> squashfs.img -->os.img
-->(mounted) (my new distro, by mounting in another
linux machine) i found that the SElinux context is
preserved it has context smilar to FC7 Live CD. i dont
understand where i did the mistake.

i haven't referred to any documentation / wesite, on
how to build custom distro, all i did is my own
guessing.

FYI:
previously one of my try is successful, there i copied
os.img contents to the NTFS partition (/win/os-cnt/)
then i did the changes, and again copied all the
contents to my local os.img file (ext3 partition)
i did not preserved anything while copying, except i
changed the tmp/ dir with chmod 777 tmp/, chmod t
tmp/.
this worked well, booted, all services started
successfully, x server started.
but when i try to login from X window or Command Line
(Ctrl+Alt+F1) i am been logged out automatically in
less than a second. loggin in from Command Line, it
says (no shell to login, permission denied).
from GUI, a window appear and says your session lasted
lessthan 10 secs, please see the log files for
details.
I dont understand neither error messages.

Please forgive me for my bad english, and let me know
if some thing is not clear or want more details.
Is there any one who can help this poor boy?

--
Thanks in Advance,
Sakthivel

      Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/invite/