[Fedora-livecd-list] Custom initrd

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Fri Aug 14 22:44:55 UTC 2009

I am using livecd-creator from livecd-tools-024-1.fc11.i586 and need to
customize the initrd. But I have problems making it work and figuring
out what is going on.

I have figured out that livecd-creator through imgcreate creates a
/etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd. When rpms runs mkinitrd from their %post script
then it will exec mkliveinitrd and use the configured module list.
AFAICS livecd-creator then picks up the initrd from /boot, and the end
result after having written the iso to usb with livecd-iso-to-disk is
that it ends up in /syslinux/initrd0.img.

But if I overwrite the /boot/initrd* in %post like this:
     /sbin/mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-$(rpm -q kernel --qf
'%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n').img $(rpm -q kernel --qf
'%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n')
then it won't be used.

What am I doing wrong? When is the initrd picked up? What is the code flow?

If I make %post preserve /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd and boots from usb and
restores /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd and runs
     /sbin/mkinitrd -f /mnt/live/syslinux/initrd0.img $(rpm -q kernel
--qf "%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n")
then it works as expected.

/Mads