[Fedora-livecd-list] Creating live cd from complex software development setup (Eclipse)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Feb 13 16:09:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 03:48:57 -0800,
  sarikan <serefarikan at kurumsalteknoloji.com> wrote:

> Hi Bruno,
> I think almost all aspects of my setup can be scripted. (one of the nice
> things about linux). Can I use scripting also for live cd mode? Or is it
> something I can do only for installation?

I think you misunderstand. When building the live cd image there is an
install process. The image is installed to a loop mounted ext3 (this might
change to ext4 soon) and after the install the ext3 image file is put into
a squashfs file system. Both of those end up getting mounted when running
the livecd.

Installing from the live image on to a system is more of a copy process
(though file systems still have to be laid out) then a normal install
process where packages are installed one at a time.

The upshot is the kickstart install script will be run when the livecd
image is being made. Which I think is what you are hoping for.

I haven't tried playing with the scripting as yet, so I can't help you too
much with specifics. But there is scripting code in the base kickstart for
the livecd image that you could look at.