[Fedora-livecd-list] Building CentOS5 Live CD on F10

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 15:54:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 09:47 -0600, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> If I'm wrong someone should correct me, the livecd build process is
> using the mkinitrd from CentOS, mkinitrd is being run in a chroot
> environment, in the target image.

Yes, but RHEL/CentOS 5 doesn't have various "--with-avail=" options,
among other things, in its mkinitrd.  Many of these are assumed to be in
the Anaconda, PyKickstart and mkinitrd trinity by the newer
livecd-tools.

I our case, ran into this in the case of networking**.  I know there are
similar lack of features in RHEL/CentOS 5 mkinitrd for CD boot as well.
I spend about 10 hours both weeks before and then during the LTSP
Hackfest last year comparing what RHEL 5 and Fedora 9+ have in their
Anaconda, PyKickstart and mkinitrd facilities.

RHEL/CentOS 5 is based on much earlier Fedora releases and related
components.

-- Bryan

**E.g., Warren Togami has more on our issue from his blog ...

  "Fedora's mkinitrd can use --with-avail==networking, but this is
   not possible on RHEL5 because there is no modules.networking group.
   We will likely implement something that looks at PCIID's within
   kernel modules and automatically pulls in matching kernel modules."

--
Bryan J Smith - Senior Consultant - Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs at redhat.com      +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)