[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd-tools: cache for yum ? [SUCCESS]

Carlos M. Gutierrez carlos at gutierrez.com
Tue Jan 13 17:19:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 00:54:15 -0400,
>  "Carlos M. Gutierrez" <carlos at gutierrez.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is probably newbie territory, but could you or somebody point me to
>> the kickstart documentation that covers the repositories to use and the
>> syntax that goes into ks.cfg ...
>
> If you install spin-kickstarts you'll get some samples. fedora-live-base.ks
> is one that has repo commands in it you can look at. (Many kickstarts
> include others so don't have repo commands in them.)

Thanks Rahul, Bruno, and Jeremy for your help... I finally achieved what I
wanted which was to build a LiveCD ISO file using mostly the packages that
I already had in my "fedora" and "updates" yum caches.

What had me confused for a moment was that I could not find a ks.cfg file
in my system but then I realized that what was meant was my *.ks file for
the LiveCD...

I was already using the spin-kickstarts package in my kickstart file:

%include /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-livecd-desktop.ks

lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
timezone America/Puerto_Rico

To make the story short, I had to cheat a little to achieve my goal... I
modified /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-live-base.ks and made the
following change:

repo --name=released ...

repo --name=fedora ...

And then everything "just worked"... only a few new packages in "updates"
were downloaded.

Adding the fedora repo to my own kickstart file didn't work because the
repo command doesn't substitute the repo --name=released line in the base
kickstart file. In other words, you can add repos, not substitute or
remove them. On reading the kickstart docs I note that there is a --cost=
directive that would probably be useful to have more than one repo with
the same packages... and I'll try that as I keep experimenting.

Thanks!

Carlos

believed to be clean.