[Fedora-livecd-list] Mac (EFI) USB booting

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore.com
Mon Jan 19 17:39:36 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have been trying to get Mac booting working but I am struggling to jump the first hurdle - namely having the Mac recognise the USB drive as a bootable device. I have used ALT on boot to list the bootable drives on both a Mac Mini and a PowerMac desktop machine but neither recognise a USB stick created with livecd-tools. In fact after booting from the drive MacOSX informs me that the drive isn't initialised and wants me to format it. Checking the partitions in Linux they are laid out as expected with a bootable EFI partition vfat formatted.

I gave up on EFI booting and even tried a classic MBR install with rEFIt but still the USB drive is never detected. Is there another trick I'm missing here or does USB booting only work on a very small subset of Intel Mac models? The recent EFI+MBR work looks interesting but like I said I can't even get that far.

Regards,

Daire