[Fedora-livecd-list] launch anaconda & kickstart from running livecd

Peter Scheie peter.scheie at visionshareinc.com
Fri Oct 16 14:10:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 09:05 -0400, Patrice Guay wrote:
> Peter Scheie wrote:
> > Good point.  I got confused by this page,
> > https://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/InstallToHardDrive
> > (the fault lies with me, not the page) which says the anaconda included
> > in CentOS 5 does not support installing to a hard disk from the livecd,
> > and to do so requires a newer version of anaconda than is available for
> > CentOS.  Why is that?  What is it about the anaconda in the stock CentOS
> > 5 that doesn't support installing from the livecd to the hard drive?  My
> > case is probably different than what the above page is addressing, but
> > I'm trying to understand how it all works.  Thanks.
> >

> The page you are referencing explains the following: the CentOS 5
> anaconda package does not include the "liveinst" utility. This utility
> is used to install an OS directly from the LiveCD in a way similar to
> the normal installation of a system (with anaconda in graphical or text
> mode).
>
> --
> Patrice

Thanks for the clarification.  Is the 'liveinst' utility needed in order
to install the image from the livecd to the hard drive?  Or is it needed
because anaconda isn't built to start an installation from an already
running system (such as a running livecd session)?  I assume it is the
former, as the webpage says as much, but I wanted verify that I wasn't
misunderstanding the requirements.  (This *does* start drifting toward
being an anaconda question, but it's all within the context of the
livecd session.)  If the 'liveinst' utility is only needed for
installing the image from the CD to the system, then that suggests that
I don't need the newer anaconda, as I just want to launch a 'normal'
installation-via-http using a kickstart file on the http server or
embeded on the livecd.  Am I correct?