[Fedora-livecd-list] Getting a graphical Plymouth screen for a Spin

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sun Apr 25 17:49:12 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm scratching my head about this and have thrown already a good chunk
of time into working on this, so I figured it might be reasonable to
ask here, in case somebody had any ideas. We're working on getting a
modified splash screen as before for Sugar on a Stick in time for the
release (which is coming close, so I'm trying to get the done as soon
as possible).

The required package with the images and the plymouth file has been
packaged long ago [1] and we're replacing the original theme in the
kickstart file by now [2]. However, on a machine that boots both on
F13 Beta and RHEL 6 Beta using the graphical boot screen, SoaS comes
only up with the blue bar at the bottom - the %post part of the RPM
file fails according to the logs, though [3].

Ray Strode suggested that this might be caused by the fact that the
plymouth theme gets installed past the kernel in the build process,
and that if this was the case, it'd be required to rebuild the initrd
in %post. Turns out that sugar-logos actually gets installed past the
kernel. But even after calling dracut in the kickstart's %post part,
nothing changes.

So. Does anybody have an idea how we can get the sugar-logos package
installed *before* the kernel one? Or how we can get a working rebuild
of the initrd into the spin? Any help to get this done in time would
be really appreciated!

--Sebastian

[1] http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/sugar-logos/sugar-logos.spec?view=markup
[2] http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob;f=fedora-livecd-soas.ks