[Fedora-livecd-list] Getting a graphical Plymouth screen for a Spin

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Apr 26 00:14:15 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 19:49 +0200, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm scratching my head about this and have thrown already a good chunk
>> of time into working on this, so I figured it might be reasonable to
>> ask here, in case somebody had any ideas. We're working on getting a
>> modified splash screen as before for Sugar on a Stick in time for the
>> release (which is coming close, so I'm trying to get the done as soon
>> as possible).
>>
>> The required package with the images and the plymouth file has been
>> packaged long ago [1] and we're replacing the original theme in the
>> kickstart file by now [2]. However, on a machine that boots both on
>> F13 Beta and RHEL 6 Beta using the graphical boot screen, SoaS comes
>> only up with the blue bar at the bottom - the %post part of the RPM
>> file fails according to the logs, though [3].
>>
>> Ray Strode suggested that this might be caused by the fact that the
>> plymouth theme gets installed past the kernel in the build process,
>> and that if this was the case, it'd be required to rebuild the initrd
>> in %post. Turns out that sugar-logos actually gets installed past the
>> kernel. But even after calling dracut in the kickstart's %post part,
>> nothing changes.
>>
>> So. Does anybody have an idea how we can get the sugar-logos package
>> installed *before* the kernel one? Or how we can get a working rebuild
>> of the initrd into the spin? Any help to get this done in time would
>> be really appreciated!
>>
> plymouth has Requires: system-logos, perhaps you could provide
> system-logos in your rpm, that should get it installed it before
> plymouth, which is installed before the kernel.
>
> Jerry

That's actually an interesting approach! I hadn't thought about this before.

The sugar-logos package doesn't provide all the files the fedora-logos
package does, so I guess one could list the fedora-logos one as a
build requirement in the sugar-logos one and hope that it gets pulled
in time then after making it provide system-logos... but I suppose
we'd need to make sure that sugar-logos stayed out of the non-sugar
spin composes.

--Sebastian