[Fedora-livecd-list] Getting a graphical Plymouth screen for a Spin

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Apr 26 19:36:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Ray Strode <rstrode at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Okay, so I just extracted the two initrds (the one from the squashfs
>>> in /boot and the other from the actual usb key in /syslinux) and their
>>> files out. It looks like the plymouth theme itself is all present in
>>> both and also set in /etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf as default. It's
>>> however not in /usr/share/plymouth/plymouthd.defaults, but doing a sed
>>> on that in %post didn't change the behaviour at all.
>> Must not be getting modesetting?
>>
>> add plymouth:debug to kernel command line and then look
>> at /var/log/plymouth-debug.log after boot up.
>>
>> --Ray
>
> It's getting interesting: http://fpaste.org/SONM/
>
> Apparently, it tries to load the sugar theme first and moves on to
> charge and text. I'm not sure why this is, but maybe because of this
> line (69)?
>
> # [ply-boot-splash.c] ply_boot_splash_show:can't show splash: No such
> file or directory
>
> --Sebastian

Alright, I fixed this now. Turns out it was just me being stupid and
missing a couple of png files (like a file with a lock) from the
original theme. Rereading the log linked above helped realizing that.
I'd like to thank everybody who suggested solutions and helped us
getting a working graphical boot screen for this release of the Sugar
on a Stick spin!

>From how I can currently see it, one needs to execute
plymouth-set-default-theme in %post and rebuild the initrd then. Looks
like it's easier in the end than I tought it'd be. If anybody's
interested in getting a wiki page on that, I'll be happy do work on
that.

--Sebastian