[Fedora-livecd-list] size of device on which anaconda lays down a filesystem?

paul.armor at usbank.com paul.armor at usbank.com
Mon Aug 2 14:23:10 UTC 2010

> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 17:36:16 -0500,
>>  paul.armor at usbank.com wrote:
>>>
>>> It's like the block device that lives under the filesystem isn't
actually
>>> "as big" as the fs that's layed down on top of it?
>>
>> This is done with an overlay. The base file system is readonly. If you
>> aren't using a disk based overlay (for USB devices), you'll be limited
>> whatever is used for the ramfs overlay. I don't know exactly how that
is
>> sized, but it is probably some minimum and a fraction of your ram. So
it
>> doesn't seem surprising that you get the same limit even with different
sizes
>> for the image saved on the cd, dvd or usb device.
>
> Right, in EL-5 version there's older livecd initrd generator script
> called "mayflower" which is limited to in-memory overlay (sparse file
> in initramfs).
> It does not support disk based overlay, that was added later in Fedora
> mkliveinitrd after RHEL5 branched.

Ahhh, and this would be a limitation based on physical memory in the
machine where the iso is being created?  So it would be suicidal to try
creating a 4GB root fs on a machine with only 2GB physical ram?

Perhaps I'll try using a newer version...

Thanks!
Paul Armor

U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.