[Fedora-livecd-list] Development of biarch live CD script.

Jasper Hartline jasper.hartline at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 02:28:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 22:19:04 +0000,
>  Jasper Hartline <jasper.hartline at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The mkbackup.py script does not do that, it simply would create a
>> LiveCD/DVD out of the current installed system as a means for a Live
>> bootable backup image, which with Anaconda, can be reinstalled to a
>> machine in case of disk failure or other problems.
>
> That's a pretty neat feature. It even gives you a good way to test that
> your backups work. You'd still want to have some incremental backups to
> save space.
>
> This might be worth calling a feature for F15.

Ok. I thought it was pretty neat too, you really have some range of
motion in your backups
when and if you can do it this way, instead of you know, the random
disk-backup image file laying around on CD.

The only really limitation I see it has, is the fact, a DVD is 4.7GB.
This means, if we
squash the root filesystem of any given system, files there must not
be larger than the maximum of what will
fit squashed in 4.7GB. Smaller of course is not an issue, but until
Blueray is more popular..
I think this Live backup media limitation would need to be limited to
a single DVD size.
There may be ways around this, maybe not. I will be at least working on getting
some base level functionality working with it here in the coming days
and would be glad to hear suggestions.