[Fedora-livecd-list] mkbackup as LiveOS doubles as mkclone was: Development of biarch live CD script.

Jasper Hartline jasper.hartline at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 03:48:12 UTC 2010

> mkbackup.py will take the root filesystem of any given host and squash it up
> and create a Live media out of it, essentially making an exact backup
> of the machine's drive, which has the ability to run as a Live operating
> system, but
> also is installable with Anaconda's liveinst method.
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> (end of forwarded conversation)
> For those who are interested in taking a stock LiveOS image and customizing
> it with specific content, such as adding or removing features, documents,
> images, bookmarks, ebooks, etc., the procedure you describe will serve those
> purposes as well.
> (The Sugar on a Stick Spin folks, http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/, have
> be working on customization kits for this purpose.  We use Live USB devices
> to provide a portable learning platform, and would like to allow teachers
> and students replicate a course or semester of study or work (or proposed
> study or work) from their working Live USB device to their students,
> classmates, or playmates.
>  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Sugar_Clone describes the
> project and provides a more crude, copy-overlay and copy-home solution based
> on the livecd-iso-to-disk script.)
> So one feature we would need to achieve is to be able to mkbackup/mkclone
> with a running LiveOS image.

Well mkbackup.py would be designed so that people who install Fedora,
for whatever reason wish to have a viable
backup solution, and like the idea of it being a Live media, can use
it to create a backup of thier running system.
This is an installable image also since Anaconda has it's liveinst
method which does a copy straight from the backup-Live media to a
disk's HDD.

I am not sure why you would create a backup of a LiveCD you created
with livecd-creator, because you can simply
re-use the kickstart file you had used already.