[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd-creator proposal for compression option

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jun 10 12:26:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 01:24:49 -0700,
  Jasper Hartline <jasper.hartline at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no real benefit in size savings when using mksquashfs w/ lzma.

I saw a 10% gain in a test with the games spin. That would allow a few
more games to be part of that spin.

> Even with the compression type available as an option to mksquashfs
> and livecd-creator
> the current version of squashfs-tools mksquashfs does not have lzma
> support yet anyways, nor do
> the Fedora 13 kernels.

Well mksquashfs will as soon as Kyle let's me put it in rawhide.
The kernel doesn't have support now, but there is a reasonable chance
it will get it for 2.6.36. This is far from certain, but if it does happen
I need to be able to do testing pretty much as soon as it does.