[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd-creator proposal for compression option

James Heather j.heather at surrey.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 08:35:11 UTC 2010

This is all getting rather acrimonious and unbecoming.

I am firmly of the opinion that 10% is a very significant saving. I
often put custom live cd images together, and I have had many a time
where I've come up against the limits of the device (CD, DVD or USB
stick). Being able to get 10% more content would have made a big
difference. The circumstances have varied considerably, but it's never
been games-related--it's a much more general issue.

The two counter-arguments seem to be:

    (1) that syslinux was rejected, which is small;

    (2) that it might introduce unnecessary bugs.

I haven't followed the thread of (1), but it's a separate issue as to
whether syslinux is worth the extra space, even if it's small. In any
case, custom builds are always free to include or not include syslinux.
If you don't like what's on the base DVD, build your own--that's the
whole point of this list.

I don't accept (2). Obviously any change needs thorough testing, but
there are procedures for that, that's what rawhide is for, and we even
have a list (this one) where people can get additional help. Like
anything else, it won't see the light of day (stable repos) if it
doesn't work properly.

James