[Fedora-livecd-list] Accessibility on the LiveCD and installing from LiveCD

Marc Herbert Marc.Herbert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 10:53:43 UTC 2010

Michael Whapples wrote:
> If there is a good reason why some may want the first boot
> application, may be it could be an optional thing

Disabling firstboot is possible; just create the file
"/etc/sysconfig/firstboot" with the following line: RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO

Maybe some GUI could do that for non-technical users.

> The big question would be though, what screen reader will work with
> first boot? I am sorry I can't answer this as I can't see the first
> boot application and so don't know if it is text based, GTK based,
> etc.

Like most RedHat system administration tools, firstboot is written in
Python and features both a text-based frontend and a GTK/Glade
frontend. It prefers the full screen Glade frontend in case X is
available. Otherwise it falls back on /usr/bin/setup, which a basic
ncurses-looking menu to the usual system-config-* text-based tools.

Cheers,

Marc