[Fedora-livecd-list] Accessibility on the LiveCD and installing from LiveCD

Marc Herbert Marc.Herbert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 14:57:25 UTC 2010

Michael Whapples a écrit :

> I am assuming that for a liveCD install the
> firstboot application will use the GTK frontend, if not then I need to
> consider the text console screen readers (I hope this is not the case as
> I don't think fedora has a text console screen reader by default and it
> could be harder to push for extra stuff to be added, space can be very
> restricted on a LiveCD).

I think the main use case for the (legacy?) text-based interface is to
work around crashing video drivers. So focusing on the GTK frontend is
probably OK, even when X not working has recently become more frequent
thanks to Intel.  I mean: working around others' bugs should not be the
primary focus.

> Now to the other alternative, disabling first boot. I actually got a
> message from another list where someone seemed to remember being told to
> disable first boot with chkconfig, does this do basically the same
> thing?

More or less. chkconfig prevents /etc/init.d/firstboot to run, while
RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO makes it exit prematurely. I guess chkconfig requires
an inconvenient chroot.

> Also if I were to disable firstboot, would I also need to
> manually add a user account?

Yes, that's the main thing firstboot seems to be doing. Again, mind
chroot; there must be a reason why firstboot does not run earlier than
at first boot.

> There then would be minor issues, possibly some of them easier to
> solve. Here are the ones I can think of at the moment (NOTE: I am
> trying to give full details so it may get quite long, some of them
> should be very simple to solve hopefully):
> [...]
> Sorry if the above seems a bit much, I don't mean it to seem that way,

I think it would be best to start a different discussion thread for each
topic of significant importance.

I suspect you will get much better answers on some anaconda mailing
list. Little seems liveCD-specific so far.

Cheers,

Marc