[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora 11 live cd hangs on logout...

James Heather j.heather at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 08:00:25 UTC 2010

> I haven't seen that, but I probably haven't done exactly what you do.

Do you mean that you've done something pretty close to what I do and
haven't seen it? In particular, are you building F11 live cds?

> Do you see the hang with a 100% plain F11 build with a ks from
> spin-kickstarts?

Yes, with updates

> Without updates?

Trying that now, but will take some time to download the release rpms.

> You attached some ks files. Which change from the standard made a
> difference?

Including updates can be the only thing making a difference. No other
changes.

> Exactly how do you run livecd-iso-to-disk? Which overlays do you create?
> Are they blank when you start?

livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr --noverify --overlay-size-mb 900
--home-size-mb 1024 --unencrypted-home $ISOFILE $DRV

Yes, the overlays are blank on bootup.

> You log in as liveuser (without password) and expect to get the gdm
> login prompt again after log out (i.e. you are not shutting down)?

Yes. But it is certainly nothing to do with that particular user or the
autologin. I first noticed this with the exam USB sticks I was creating,
where there was no autologin, and a password. Same thing. I tried
gradually undoing my changes from the standard F11, and discovered that
it happened even on the standard one.

> Is ctrl-alt-f2 working? Is caps lock toggling as usual?

Ctrl-Alt-F2 doesn't work, and nor does the power button (other than by
holding it in). Good Q about caps lock. I suspect the answer is no, but
I'll find out. The machine I'm sitting at at the moment doesn't have
LEDs.

> Are any liveuser processes hanging? What happens if you kill them (or
> just the X server)?

Don't know how to tell if they're hanging. I tried killing gnome-session
but it made no odds. There are lots of liveuser processes... not sure
which other ones to try killing.

James