[Fedora-livecd-list] mounting a persistent overlay

Xander Pirdy xander.pirdy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 07:22:30 UTC 2010

> The tricky part is how to mount the persistent overlay. After all, that's
> where the additional files have been written...

The way that I understand it is that in short, you can't, since the
persistent overlay is a copy on write table, that only really works by
marking changed blocks from what it overlays. Hence the size limit, the
corruption when it becomes full and the uselessness unless you boot into
that system. If I am wrong I would be glad to be corrected, because until
these issues get fixed I am sticking with live distributions that use
debian-live, which uses aufs, which doesn't corrupt is unlimited in size and
can be mounted out of context. But these features won't come to fedora until
a union-mount file system makes it into the mainline kernel (or so I have
heard).
Good Luck,
Alexander

> James
>
> --

Thanks--yes--it's no problem mounting the squashfs.