[Fedora-livecd-list] Help with a problem I am seeing when trying to build a liveCD for FC13

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Sep 18 16:42:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 17:34:06 -0500,
  Jim Galarowicz <jeg at krellinst.org> wrote:

>   Installing: info                         ##################### [ 31/995]
> sh: uname: command not found
>
> I know the suggestion was to fix the offending rpms so that they
> install coreutils prior to using one of the coreutils  commands
> (uname).  However, I've looked at both the info and popt spec files
> that I believe fedora is using and there is no references to uname.

There might be some indirect reference, though I haven't been able to spot
it. The script for info doesn't look like it should do much. The info
file it looks for doesn't match what is provided (the provided file is
gzipped). So the first step probably won't run unless there is a tricky
check going on. And the second runs sed, which if it is missing won't
do anything either.

It might be that one of the shell scripts included when starting a new
shell runs uname. I don't think that is normal, but perhaps some package
installed between bash and info added a script that uses uname. If that's
the case, then that package would probably be the issue. And it should
probably require and require(pre) coreutils.

Looking at the nightly compose for the games spin, both info and popt
are installed before coreutils without seeing this warning message.

bash-completion might be a suspect, as it seems to run uname.
Is it installed before info?