[Fedora-livecd-list] initird0.img "No init found" on add updated /lib/modules/ kernel folder ?

Ed Sutton ESutton at fescorp.com
Mon Aug 8 17:09:07 UTC 2011

I want to build a livecd that containing a new kernel containing security updates.  The kickstart installs the updated kernel RPM.  When I compare the extracted original initrd0.img to the extracted files from the modified initrd0.img I cannot see in obvious differences.  The init script exists. Livecd-creator was run as su.  The initrd0.img was made as normal user.

I assume my problem is in the extraction of the original initrd0.img source files or the re-compression to make the new one.  The first thing I tried was to change isolinux.cfg to use the new kernel and original initrd0.img file that is missing the updated /lib/modules/ kernel folder.  The point was to see how far the boot would get:

1 - Added new /isolinux/vmlinuz1
2 - Modified /isolinux/isolinux.cfg to use vmkinuz1
  kernel vmlinuz1
  append initrd=initrd0.img root=CDLABEL=sbc-dds-livecd-i386 rootfstype=iso9660 ro liveimg rhgb
3 - I made no changes to initrrd0.img
4 - On boot I get an expected error message complaining about missing /lib/modules/:
"FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-238.9.1.el5PAE/modules.dep No such file or directory"

Next I tried to fix this by adding the missing  updated /lib/modules/ kernel folder and rebuild the initrd0.img and the ISO:

1 - Extract the initrd0.img files
2 - Copy missing /lib/modules/2.6.18-238.9.1.el5PAE/ folder
3 -  Recompress initrd source files

rpm2cpio kernel-PAE-2.6.18-238.9.1.el5.i686.rpm | cpio -imdu \*lib/modules/*
find . | cpio --create --format='newc' > /home/esutton/projects/livecd/Installation_Files/src_live_root/isolinux/initrd0
gzip -f /home/esutton/projects/livecd/Installation_Files/src_live_root/isolinux/initrd0
mv /home/esutton/projects/livecd/Installation_Files/src_live_root/isolinux/initrd0.gz /home/esutton/projects/livecd/Installation_Files/src_live_root/isolinux/initrd0.img

4 - On boot I get:

Failed to execute /init
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel

Thanks in advance for any direction or tips on debugging or building initrd images.

-Ed