[Fedora-livecd-list] initird0.img "No init found" on add updated /lib/modules/ kernel folder ?

Ed Sutton ESutton at fescorp.com
Mon Aug 8 22:30:53 UTC 2011

On Aug 8, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Brian C. Lane wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 01:34:49PM -0500, Ed Sutton wrote:

>>> /lib/modules/ directory from the new kernel and then append that to the
>>> original initrd. The kernel will decompress it along side the original
>>> content. That should help eliminate problem steps.
>>

>> Sorry, I'm not very fluent with Linux but this sounds promising.  Can you please elaborate on how to implement the append?  Is this an isolinux.cfg append command?  Or a gzip file or cpio file append thing?
>
> >Extract the kernel rpm like you have been doing, but do it to a new
> directory, not on top of the initrd contents. Then make a cpio of that
> directory and gzip it. Then do:
>
> cat modules.cpio.gz >> initrd0.img
>
> that will append the new cpio to the end of the existing one.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the detailed example.  I tried the gzip append approach without success.  Next I wanted to focus on rebuilding the initrd0.img from a known good ISO without making any changes.  I made zero changes to isolinux.cfg.  I made zero changes to the extracted initrd0 source files yet on boot I I still get:

Failed to execute /init
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

When I re-extract the initrd0.img from the ISO the contained file look as expected. I am basically following the guide below.  The initrd0.img must not be correct but I cannot figure out what it is?

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/how-to-view-modify-and-recreate-initrd-img/

I am running out of things to try differently.  Any further tips are much appreciated.

-Ed