[Fedora-livecd-list] feature idea: boot option to copy entire livecd into RAM

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:17:17 UTC 2011

I'm using a Fedora 14 live CD at the moment to make an image copy of one
hard disk to another.  It's working fine, but every minute or two the
optical drive spins up for no apparent reason.  I'm not sure what's doing
that, but it occurs to me that it might be possible to kill two birds with
one stone here, the other bird being that interactive use of the live CD is
painfully slow due to the relatively poor performance of the optical drive.

How difficult would it be to have livecd-creator build the image such that
there is a boot option to copy the entire livecd into a ramdisk, and unmount
the optical drive?  Since most new laptops have at least 3GB of RAM, this
seems like it might be useful to a lot of users.  It also would allow the
optical drive to be used for other purposes while running the live image.

I suppose someone might ask why I am not using a live image on a USB flash
drive rather than the optical drive. That's because the Sony VAIO I'm using
seems to have BIOS issues that prevent successfully booting from a USB flash
drive.  :-(

Eric