[Fedora-livecd-list] Work around for recent zfs-fuse package addition

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Nov 29 22:54:51 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I periodically rebuild a personal Fedora remix to have all of the updates... and am not working with Fedora 16.  In the x86_64 version of my remix I include all of the KVM virtualization stuff.  It seems that a recent set of updates has caused zfs-fuse to become a dependency where it wasn't previously.  That's fine... but I noticed that my remix would fail to build near the tail end of the process.  Since the initial failure there have been a few more waves of updates and I've still been unable to complete a rebuild.

I finally figured out how to work around the issue.  When zfs-fuse gets installed inside of the build root it appears to start up on the build host.  By killing the top level zfs-fuse process manually with kill and making sure it is no longer running, I was able to finish the build process.  From the host node context zfs-fuse was not enabled and the systemctl stop zfs-fuse would say it wasn't running... I'm guessing because it was installed and started up by the livecd-creator build process rather than on the host node proper.  It appears that if zfs-fuse is allowed to stay running the build process will fail but by manually killing it ('pstree -nup | less' search for parent zfs-fuze process and kill it) it will complete.  I haven't really looked for a way to automate the kill and just do it manually while the remix is building once I notice that the zfs-fuse service is running.

I haven't looked for nor filed a bug because the path of blame is unclear to me... and I don't know that it affects many Fedora users in the wild other than us respin / remix builders... but I thought I'd pass it along for anyone else who might care.

The only other time I've run into an issue with a particular package breaking the build process was with google-chrome browser.  Over a year ago having google-chrome browser listed in my remix package list, when google-chrome gets installed it does a service restart (I don't recall which one, atd maybe?) and coincidentally the remix build process would fail near the tail end.  I do not know if that is the case now because at that point I took google-chrome out of my package list and I have yet to add it back.  It certainly is not a Fedora provided package so I wouldn't expect Fedora to troubleshoot such an issue.

Any any event, from those two incidents it has lead me to believe that if a package post-install script does something to the state of services, that the remix build process will probably fail.  I'm not sure who cares or if they'd like further investigation in an effort to validate the problem and work towards a solution or not... but anyway... feel free to comment if desired.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street