[Fedora-livecd-list] how does the new systemd effects the live-cd

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Nov 30 20:03:48 UTC 2011

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Iv'e making live cd's since Fedora8, and now, after a while I'm back
> for the latest version.
> I understand that since fedora 15 the new init system is systemd, so
> what's the effect on the building or running process of the new
> Fedora15/16 ?
> Is the old KS files still valid?
> I would appreciate any info or references.

I've been remixing since Fedora 9 I think... but to answer your question... I don't think the kickstart stuff has changed all that much as a result of systemd... but I haven't really compared the nitty-gritty details of a pre-systemd and post-systemd kickstart.

I prefer KDE and want it to be the default for my remix so each Fedora release, I install the spin-kickstarts package that has the .ks files used to build the various official Fedora spins (/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/*).  I take the KDE related .ks files, merge them together because I prefer one .ks rather than several with includes... and then add in the additional packages I want to the package listing.  I happen to include all of the desktop environments but the KDE .ks files do the required customizations such that KDM is the default window manager and KDE is the default desktop environment.  Then in a %post  --nochroot section I apply a few customizations of my own.

I don't think I'd want to take a kickstart from several releases ago and try to update it... I'd rather take a current kickstart and modify it.  That way you avoid getting into some of the environment differences from release to release... but hey, if you want to try your older kickstart to see if it still works you can.  And of course you can compare it to the new ones to see how they have changed.

About the only things I've noticed is the change from ext3 to ext4... and then the change in the compression type used which freed up a lot of space... but honestly I haven't really been paying close enough attention to the various changes because my methodology has mostly isolated me from them.

Just "grep systemctl /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/*" and you can see some of the changes.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street