[Fedora-livecd-list] Expanding the overlay size

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Tue Oct 4 23:00:20 UTC 2011

Phil Meyer wrote, On 10/03/2011 05:59 PM:
> The livd images currently appear to have 4GB filesystems, which would
> correspond to single layer DVDs. This is ok.
>
> My question: Is the entire free space reported by tools like 'df'
> supposed to be writable?

No; the default temporary overlay is backed by ram, and making all of it
writeable would require allocation of (at least) as much ram as the size
of the uncompressed disk ... and then it would probably be better to
copy the whole image to ram and write it directly without using any overlay.

> So it seems that roughly 500MB is available via an overlay.
>
> Only 'livecd-iso-to-disk', of all of the livecd tools, has an overlay
> option.
>
> The question is:
>
> How to adjust the overlay somewhere during the process of:
>
> livecd-creator ->  livecd-iso-to-pxeboot
>
> such that a system using the initrd.img created by
> 'livecd-iso-to-pxeboot' has all of the remainder of the 4GB file-system
> available via the overlay.
>
> Thanks for any pointers!

/usr/share/dracut/modules.d/90dmsquash-live/dmsquash-live-root creates
the default overlay as 512 MB backed by tmpfs.

You can try to increase that size, but I think some kind of nfs mount or
other mount tricks would be a better solution.

/Mads