[Fedora-livecd-list] Can't echo to console from dracut module

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 13:37:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 02:55:40PM -0500, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
> I have a custom dracut module installed as a pre-mount hook (for Fedora
> 18).  This shell script needs to echo some messages to the console, but
> I'm having no luck making that happen.  I've tried:

This is similar to what we ran into with checkisomd5, now that systemctl
is being used by dracut you need to setup a service with access to the
console in order for anything to be output (or input).

The service file for that looks like this:

[Unit]
Description=Media check on %f
DefaultDependencies=no
Before=shutdown.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=no
ExecStart=/bin/checkisomd5 --verbose %f
StandardInput=tty-force
StandardOutput=inherit
StandardError=inherit
TimeoutSec=0

You can look at commits 040f3883 and 5204d1d3 in dracut to see how it is
setup.