[Fedora-livecd-list] MATE vs other desktops

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Oct 10 21:47:57 UTC 2013

Greetomgs.

----- Original Message -----
> Could this be why I see a difference between Fedora 18 and Fedora 19?
> In Fedora 18, booted to Gnome 3, the CPU is high. When I set Fedora
> 18 to fallback mode, the CPU usage drops to normal levels. Then in
> Fedora 19 it doesn't seem to matter what mode I am in, the CPU usage
> is always high.

I don't think ModemManager has anything to do with it.

I assume you are using the GNOME media, right?  If so, there was a change between Fedora 18 and 19... and that is that fallback mode has been replaced by a set of GNOME 3 addons so when you are running GNOME classic you are actually running GNOME 3 with some style changes to make it look more like GNOME 2.  In either case it requires, to the best of my knowledge, accelerated 3D support from your video card and if that isn't working, it will do all of that in software... which will cause your CPU to do more work.  Depending on what video card/chipset you have and the driver it is using... some work better than others.  I use mostly older ATI/AMD and Intel setups and even when software rendering GNOME, I don't notice a CPU spike.  I'm guessing that your combination is one of the buggier ones that uses more CPU.

That is my guess as to what is going on.

That shouldn't be the case with any of the other spins like XFCE, KDE, etc. or at least I can not duplicate your problem.

One thing you can do as a test is to boot up the same media on different hardware and see if you can duplicate the problem there as well.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street