Zikula deployment date

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sun Aug 16 07:32:11 UTC 2009

>> covered by any freezes.  Mel will be working on getting a test instance
>> for marketing on a publictest machine soon.

Yep, that's almost up on publictest6. I'm working through it verrrry
slowly since it's my first time getting something up on infra; so far
I've spent about an hour on it and am almost-but-not-quite done. The
same steps take 14 minutes on my laptop, so clearly I have much to
learn. Ricky's been a great help with navigating the stuff I'm
unfamiliar with, and I'm documenting the living daylights out of this:
http://blog.melchua.com/2009/08/16/how-the-zikula-based-test-instance-of-fi-was-put-up-part-1/

> If it's marketing related or an official support system we should probably
> move it to the normal app servers.  Though I don't really know what
> marketing had in mind for it.

 > I guess we'll have to talk about what "they" want to do with it.

For the record: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Insight. (FI for
short.)

This is a separate instance from docs, so there are at least two zikula
installs needed; docs, which has a lot of requirements that aren't all
worked out yet (see: list of legal blockers and packaging-needed stuff)
and marketing/FI, which only needs 3 packages (core zikula and two
modules, all three of which are packaged) and therefore isn't blocked by
any of the packaging/legal issues that docs is.

So, as far as I can tell, zikula-based FI *is* an option for F12,
especially if it isn't critical path and can go onto a server that isn't
affected by the freeze. But I'm not sure whether these things are true...

 > if marketing is going to do press releases or anything that might
 > get linked to from the release announcement, I'd put that in critical
 > path too.

We are going to be putting press releases and pretty much everything
that gets linked to from the release announcement on FI. So Mike, I
reckon it's my turn to apologize for not having gotten fully up to speed
on how infrastructure freezes work yet, and ask:

1. is FI critical-path (and therefore impacted by infrastructure freeze?)
2. given the answer to (1), what timeline/deadlines would you propose
for getting FI infrastructure up and onto production (before September
8? get it on publictest now and wait until F13 for the rest?) (What
should work, on what server, when?)

--Mel

PS: Re: translation deadline being September 15 - whether we aim for
that depends almost entirely on whether we can get a production instance
up more than a week or so in advance of that date, so I'm concentrating
on settling the latter question first.