Hosted identi.ca

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 14:34:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 10:25 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Wouldn't it make better sense to simply have an aggregate of 'fedora
> twits'  - I mean - other than the normal mailing lists and irc channels.
> :)

I get the feeling this is what the thing that's being proposed is,
because the accounts can subscribe to the normal identi.ca accounts and
vice-versa. I think the benefits are:

(1) One microblog planet that is based on membership in fedora without
being dependent on those funky #tags or !groups that many people don't
use. So you can follow the people in the Fedora community on one page /
via one feed.

(2) The main page for all the Fedora dents could be themed to appear as
if it's another app in the Fedora set of web apps so we could get brand
consistency.

Concerns with the above:

(1) If I'm subscribed to you on identi.ca and I'm subscribed to the
Fedora feed, will it be smart enough not to send me duplicate notices?
Now that would be yucky.

(2) Do individual identi.ca feeds have RSS? If so, couldn't we just use
planet to aggregate our feeds in this way? I guess this though
definitely wouldn't have the smarts to avoid duplicate notices.

I guess it's better to start out with a problem to solve rather than
with a solution. If the problem to solve is needing branded aggregation
of Fedora dents in one place, perhaps there is a better / simpler
solution. Is there a different problem this is meant to solve?

I guess you could use your Fedora-dentica account to post only stuff
relevant to Fedora and use your normal identi.ca account for personal
stuff?

~m