Licensing problems, solution strategy

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jul 29 15:18:37 UTC 2009

On 07/29/2009 11:13 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I propose that we simply make the rollout a first priority.  If there
> are licensing concerns which must be fixed to install the application
> somewhere, then module owners must fix the licensing problems
> themselves (or find someone to commit to doing it within a specific
> time frame).  If we're able to wait for packaging until some later
> time, then we install now, set a date where we will have all those
> problems solved, and start the process of fixing them.

Paul, in most cases, this simply isn't possible. We cannot relicense
bits that we are not the copyright holder for, and it usually isn't
trivial to simply remove bits under an unclear or bad license. When it
is, we're already just removing those bits.

We can't carry bits under bad licenses while we wait for someone to
resolve the issue. That's simply a showstopper, sorry.

~spot